Google’s E-A-T algorithm update in 2018 emphasized the significance of Expertise, Authority, and Trustworthiness in ranking content. On December 15, 2022, Google added an extra “E” to the acronym, which stands for Experience.
The purpose and execution of the update make it crucial for website owners in every niche to understand the new E-E-A-T guidelines. We’ll explore the meaning of each letter, the difference between experience and expertise, and how content marketers can use this knowledge to improve their search engine rankings.
What is E-E-A-T?
The original Expertise, Authority, and Trustworthiness (E-A-T) update was mainly a factor for websites offering information that required a high level of expertise, such as health and wellness advice. It was less important for topics like hobbies.
On December 15, 2022, Google added an extra “E” to the acronym, which stands for Experience. E-E-A-T Google update is more wide-reaching and will be important for website owners in every niche to understand.
Source: Digital Results
Here is an explanation of each letter to help you get familiar with the concept:
The first and newest letter refers to the level of experience of the content creator in the topic or field they’re discussing. Websites that demonstrate a high level of expertise in a particular area will be considered more trustworthy and authoritative by Google.
This letter is closely related to experience and refers to the depth of knowledge that the content creator or website owner has in their subject area. Demonstrating that you have a high level of expertise in a particular area can help to build trust and credibility with both Google and your audience.
This letter refers to the overall authority and reputation of a website or brand. Websites that are seen as authoritative in their industry or niche will be considered more trustworthy by Google and are likely to rank higher in search engine results.
The Difference Between Experience and Expertise According to Google
When Google refers to experience, they are talking about practical, real-world knowledge of a topic. Think of a content creator who has worked inside the industry for 20 years and may have a lot of first-hand experience in the topics they’re writing about.
When it comes to expertise, Google considers the creator’s qualifications. A brand-new doctor may not have a lot of real-world experiences to draw on yet, but they still have spent years becoming an expert in the topic of healthcare.
How to Create High-Performing E-E-A-T Google Content
Now that you understand what each letter means, here are ways you can use this knowledge to improve your content marketing and rank higher in SERPs.
Build High-Quality Backlinks
Building high-quality backlinks from relevant, authoritative domains is one of the best ways to demonstrate that you’re a trusted authority in your industry. You can achieve this by consistently creating valuable, unique, high-quality content that people want to link to.
The following techniques can help you build a high-quality backlink score:
- Guest blogging: Writing guest posts or contributing to industry publications is a great way to earn high-quality backlinks from reputable sources. This strategy allows you to demonstrate thought leadership while building relationships with other industry professionals.
- Participate in community events: Participating in community events, such as sponsorships or charity events, can help establish your business as a trusted authority in your industry. Participating in these events can lead to opportunities to build relationships with other industry professionals, potentially leading to backlink opportunities.
- Creating high-quality resources: High-quality resource or encyclopedia pages are a fantastic way to earn valuable backlinks. It will require a lot of work and expertise to create valuable resources pages, but it can potentially pay off in a big way by leading to an increase in backlinks.
Keep Content Accurate and Up to Date
Keeping your website’s content up to date with the most accurate information ensures that your website conveys the trust signals that Google and users want. This is especially important for pages with time-sensitive information, such as news or medical information.
Google loves expert content and rewards it when it’s created by someone with the credentials or qualifications to produce it. By working with contributors who have substantial real-world experience to back up their insights, you can increase the E-E-A-T of your site.
Hiring experts who have qualifications in the field and can write about a topic from a position of authority can help improve your website’s E-E-A-T. By hiring writers with credentials, accreditations, degrees, or those who have put in the necessary time to be recognized as an authority in a particular field, your brand can earn the right to let people (and Google) know about it.
Publish Content Regularly
Regularly publishing high-quality content that is well-researched, informative, and relevant to your target audience can help display your brand as an authority in your industry. This can improve your E-A-T and ultimately lead to higher search engine rankings.
Build Relationships with Industry Experts
Building relationships with industry experts can help you create content that is more accurate, informative, and trustworthy. Reach out to experts in your industry and ask for their input or contributions to your content.
Focus On Building a Strong Brand Reputation
A strong brand reputation can improve your E-E-A-T and boost your search engine rankings. Try these tips when building your brand reputation:
- Engage with your audience: Actively respond to comments, messages, and feedback in a timely manner. Be transparent about your brand’s values and objectives.
- Create high-quality content: Content that provides a ton of value to your audience is the best way to build authority and improve your reputation for accuracy and thoroughness.
- Monitor your online reputation: Monitor your brand’s online reputation regularly, and respond to any negative feedback or comments promptly and professionally. You can use tools like Google Alerts, Hootsuite, or Sprout Social to monitor your brand’s online presence and track mentions of your brand or industry keywords.
How Hushly’s Tools Can Help You Win with the New Google E-E-A-T Algorithm
Hushly’s automated marketing platform can help you build E-E-A-T while increasing conversions. We offer simplified, developer-free solutions, including:
- Personalized website experiences: Dynamic, personalized content for unique visitors will help you establish authority and expertise in your field.
- Gain buyer journey insights: Hushly’s content analytics helps businesses analyze content engagement to optimize content strategy. Better content will earn better E-E-A-T standing.
- AI intent data: Hushly’s AI-powered intent data will help you understand what your customers are looking for so you can be their first and best resource.
If you’re interested in learning more about how Hushly can help build E-E-A-T and succeed with Google’s new guidelines, contact us and request a demo today.